Friday, April 25, 2014

Ms. Jasztal Shares-- Fraction, Decimal, and Percent Anchor Charts


Last night, I was perusing Pinterest when I came across the fraction, decimal, and percent anchor chart I sketched in January 2010 and posted on Scholastic.com. The post where it was featured, titled "A New Year and Decade: A Stronger Teacher", received a number of newer comments I never read because I always thought people could not comment after my duration as Teacher Advisor for grades 3-5.

One of the comments stood out to me and made me re-analyze the image I included.

Karen stated--
I would love to print your fractions/decimals chart that is at the top of this...

I tilted my head and stared at the image for a few moments, realizing I was trying to capture the image in an artistic way when I initially took it. I went back to the photo card where it was stored-- that was the only image I had taken of the chart. So this afternoon in my classroom, I decided to set aside about fifteen minutes and do a "photo shoot" of some of my math charts over the years.

Karen also wrote that she would pay for the chart, but I am a gracious person and would never make people pay for the images.

Looking back at the charts, they were created with fourth graders in mind. I believe students in grades 3-5 can benefit from the posters. What I would do with the images, if I came across this post, is print them out, make black and white copies, and have my students glue them in interactive math journals. You can also show your students the entire collection and ask them to create their own informational anchor charts. Of course, you can replicate the information on the posters as well in making your own charts. There are a number of possibilities.

Without further ado... you may recognize image #1 from Pinterest, and below, there it is four years later with a "straight-on shot"! =)











I hope I was able to help out someone with this post. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to comment. Have a phenomenal weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I love your posters! This may be a rookie question (I'm about to start my first year of teaching), but how did you introduce the lesson using these anchor charts? Did you create the anchor chart as you went along with the instruction in class, or did you have most of the information pre-written and filled out the chart with the class as you proceeded with instruction? Any help is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica! The anchor charts were made before I used them with my students. They were used to introduce the concepts while my students sat in the meeting area. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask! So nice to "meet" you.

      Delete
  2. Hi Victoria!
    I love, love, love your poster, but unfortunately I´m not able to see your pictures. Could you maybe make a link to download? I teach math I Denmark, and we don’t have the same tradition for making posters for our classrooms. But inspired by you, I think I will give it a try.
    Ninna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response! I just saw it now. I am actually sketching out some of these concepts on paper so they can be downloaded. :) Something weird happened where the photos disappeared, but I am getting them back. I apologize for that.

      Delete
  3. Hello Victoria,
    This is exactly what I've been looking for!! I homeschool my son who is nine and entering in to the fourth grade. My daughter is now four and I keep her super busy with her letters and numbers. Any advice on how I could incorporate my sons lessons with her early learning?
    Thanks! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I am glad I fixed the photo issue on here because... they weren't showing up. There are a lot of great things I have found that can help your son-- visit http://teachingvision.net/forums (I am re-opening my old domain with .net instead of .org). There are some great math websites I found. As for your daughter, I would do a lot of hands-on demonstrations. Example-- I found a great resource this evening (at http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Ultimate-Guide-to-Minecraft-Papercrafts/) where you can print out Minecraft-esque blocks (if your son plays the game, that is)... and he can construct a scene of sorts. She can count the blocks while he may calculate the total volume or surface area of the ones he uses, for example.

      Delete